Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Grapefruit Yogurt Cake


The seemingly innocent baked good you see above was a task I decided to make at the last minute. In my last couple of hours at work yesterday I ventured into a blog break and came upon Smitten Kitchen's Lime Yogurt Cake. I immediately was intrigued by the idea of making a cake with yogurt. It made me think of something light and fluffy. And with the realization that I had most of the ingredients, except for eggs, I decided to venture into this new baking territory.
The only thing I changed was the use of grapefruit instead of lime. I had invested in a grocery box with a friend and had a grapefruit and orange that I was at odds with myself what to do with. You see I am a lazy fruit eater. I hate peeling things in order to eat them, with the exception of a banana. And that pith that is such a bitch to get off just makes me upset altogether. So a recipe where I just needed to juice my grapefruit is right up my alley.

What can I say about this recipe. It was neither bad or mind blowing. The actual process was quite simple but I do think I did a few things incorrectly. After you sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients the directions say to stir with a spoon until just combined. And it is at this point, friends, that I think I just took things a little bit too literally. So with my regular old spoon that I eat my cereal with I began to fold and stir but saw that the resulting batter was full of large lumps. I thought that's why I sifted, but lumps came about all the same. With whisk in hand I decided to try to eliminate some of these lumps and did a few light stirs to take care of them. Well, i think I stirred too much too fast which resulted in a heavy cake. I wanted something that my fork would just cook through with easy, but found that I made something with a little more give. It still was edible, but I wanted something more.

I also wished the grapefruit would have been a bit more of an upfront taste. It is instead a very subtle background note. My only solace is that I still have an orange on my counter which can only mean another cake this weekend. Who wants to come over to try?

1 comment:

Amanda Ebner said...

My GOD it looks delicious - and although raw grapefruit is a bit much for me, sweetened into a cake would be perfection. YUM!