Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Boston Graveyards


One of my favorite thing to do when visiting any historical city is to visit the local graveyard. And Boston had to be one of the greatest I have seen. Of course my New Orleans trip to the local cemetery was amazing as well, but Boston was amazing in the depth of tangible history that you see. Where else do you see Samuel Adams, the Franklin Family, John Hancock, and Paul Revere all in one place? But I am a history geek and love to just roll around in all those little facts and then re-tell them to my friend who has resided in Boston for a few years and probably knows all of it but I think she should hear it again anyways. I'm just trying to spread around the knowledge people, just spreading it around.

The art of these tombstones was also intriguing. Skulls and crossbones, angels, skeletons with Father Time, weeping willows with urns. Though I think one of the most amazing things was these words:

My Flesh shall Slumber in the Ground; Till the last Trumpit Joyful Sound; Then Shall Awake with Sweet Surprise; And In Saviour Image Rise

Something about those words touched me. I am not a very religious person, but I would like to think there is something bigger then myself out there and that poem made me see that we all do when it come to the end of things. Well I'm done being philosophical and hope you enjoy some of my favorite shots.


1 comment:

nicole said...

I pass by these every day. I love to look at them as the seasons pass. Right now they are covered in show, then more and more will melt away and green grass will sprout up around the graves stones, paths will get warn with summer time visitors and then pass leaves will gently fall. They are really stunning