Monday, July 20, 2009

Hello! My name is Veronica and I will be your tour guide for this crazy blog!

This has been a long time coming. The idea has been in my head but it took a few good pushes to actually commit to this. It seemed cocky and self-indulgent to assume that I may have thoughts, ideas, or stories that others may want to hear about. I’m not saying there won’t be disappointments, I can’t be on point all the time, but I am going to try to make this enjoyable. I figure if I have a bit of a giggle or have an “aha” moment that maybe you might feel the same way.

I will give a short synopsis, my first monologue (yeah!), to explain a bit about myself. I am a born and bred SoCal girl who has somehow found herself residing in DC. It was a bit of a circuitous route here, and it was not political dreams that brought me. I spent some prime years after college being a vagabond of sorts. I worked for Club Med resorts, in the States so nothing too exciting, and backpacked a bit around Europe and lived in Australia for a few months. The parental units decided to transplant themselves to Northern VA before I returned from Australia and it was either sink or swim in Cali or have free rent. (I mean which would you choose?!) So now I am here living on Capitol Hill and enjoying life in the District. It was not an easy road. DC is a city that has to grow on you, much like fungus or mold on a good cheese, but in a non-gross way.

Despite my desperation to get a decent job and often being mocked for my after-college decisions, I have never once regretted the path I took. Yes, I would probably be making more money or have some swanky job with a corner office out in LA (kinda doubt it actually), but you know those things you read about, the places you talk about going to, I’ve been there. Travelling has made me a better person. That’s it, plain and simple, and for that reason I am thankful that I did it. It also opened my eyes to possibilities in other cultures, food, music, fashion, etc. And food in general has become a bit of an obsession.

I talk about food almost all of the time. It is interesting and tasty, and I love learning about food, reading about restaurants/chefs, watching food related shows and seeing what new trends are happening. Let me say this though, I have no aspirations to be a chef. I am not cut out for it, as my minor blow ups in the privacy of my home have shown me. Yet food is intriguing because it is a bit like magic: you never know what a chef can create from simple ingredients. Also, the cultural and social aspects that come with the joy of eating are varied across the world, but it is still a common thread that every person can relate to each other with. Maybe I am a geek, but that crap is fascinating to me.

While this blog will definitely be an outlet for my food related inquiries, write ups on places I dine and travel, and my attempts at cooking and trying to learn moderation and to be healthy, I have been know to digress and will definitely diverge off course and speak to my other interests, observations, stories, etc. In a nutshell, this will be about me and if you don’t like it, well you can’t win them all, and you are welcome to find somebody else that will amuse you. So to all the people out there, I hope I can bring something even miniscule to your day of procrastinating from work, finding nothing on TV, avoiding the gym, etc. Bon Apetit!


Veronica

p.s. this is a work in progress so please excuse the mess while I figure out what I am doing.

1 comment:

Kelly Aline said...

Yay Beronica!! Can't wait to read your blog :) I will put it on my regular reading list...