Monday, February 15, 2010

The squash has been sitting on my counter way too long!

The theme of tonight's dinner was to use up the produce that has been languishing on the counter for almost 2 weeks now. Who knows, it could be longer. With influx of snow all the days began to mesh together and I lost track of everything. But now DC is almost back to functioning and I guess that is a sign that I should start doing so as well. Off to the kitchen I went with my main task to use my butternut squash and onion that needed to be given some attention.

I think what amazed me about myself is that I had no freaking clue what I was going to do but I just made it work. After digging through my cabinets and spice collection I decided to go with a Moroccan feeling meal. Butternut squash and onion sauteed with cinnamon, chili powder, cumin, and white wine. Once all of my ingredients began a happy little dance in the pan I added chickpeas, chicken sausage, cranberries, and Greek yogurt (to thicken all the juices up!). With some couscous to catch all the delicious sauce I had an easy dinner in front of me, and plenty of left-overs for a few lunches.





I also was just plain happy with how my pictures turned out. Living in a basement apartment I do not get much natural sun light which is one of the most important things when taking pictures of food. But playing with the angles and trying different locations on the counter I was able to snag some paparazzi worthy pics.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I too would be doing the happy dance. Food looks great!
MOM

Amanda Ebner said...

I'm gonna need this recipe; thanks.